Wednesday, October 25, 2006

NJ Supremes Legalize Gay Marriage!!!

But they won't force NJ to call it "marriage."

Held: Denying committed same-sex couples the financial and social benefits and priveleges given to their married heterosexual counterparts bears no substantial relationship to a legitimate govenrmental purpose. The Court holds that under the equal protection guarantee of Article I, Paragraph I of the New Jersey Constitution, committed same-sex couples must be afforded on equal terms the same rights and benefits enjoyed by opposite-sex couples under civil marriage statutes. The name to be given to the statutory scheme that provides full rights and benefits to same-sex couples, whether marriage or some other term, is a matter left to the democratic process.


I may pass out. . . Right now, I don't give a shit about the consequences for the election. And I'm *certainly* getting drunk tonight!!

Related posts.

Update (10/28/06): NYTimes Editorial:
All this is, as everyone knows, just a show for rousing the base. If the last month has taught us anything about the Republican Party, it is that homophobia is campaign strategy, not conviction. Congressmen who trust their careers to gay staffers vote for laws to enshrine second-class citizenship for gays in the Constitution. Gay appointees and their partners are treated as married people at official ceremonies and social gatherings. Then whenever an election rolls around, the whole team pretends it’s on a mission to save America from gay marriage.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'll think of you as I raise my own glass tonight in tribute to New Jersey. Jeez, you don't hear that very often I bet.

10/25/06, 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, New Jersey! It almost felt wrong saying that. ;)

I knew this bottle of wine in my fridge would come in handy...

- Josh

10/26/06, 12:49 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

^^^Not too concerned about *that*. ") In fact, I think if rates were higher, more people would be encouraged to walk or buy bikes.

As far as constitutional amendments go, I don't see the state's powerful Democratic party getting behind that... and certainly not at this late date (maybe in 2008, but not in the next week and a half).

By the time they get something like that together, the state will be raking in BILLIONS from gays coming to Atlantic City to get married (at Ivana's Chapel of Love?)

Once NJ sees the money, no serious opposition will remain. (Not that there appears to be any now).

10/28/06, 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home