Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I love my iPOD as much as anyone

and I do have some accessories, but this is ridiculous.

BTW, it's not "bath tissue." We don't use it in the bath. It's TOILET PAPER. We use it to wipe our asses. God...

Hat tip: Towleroad

BTW, check out Andy's bit about the gay Star Trek fan series.

Sadly, the franchise never grew the balls necessary to do this themselves, though the best of the modern Treks (Deep Space Nine) did feature this ambiguously gay duo:

The one on the right (Andrew Robinson) is probably my favorite Star Trek character of all time... "Plain, simple Garak" (who, of course, was neither). The one on the left (Alexander Siddig) was critically-acclaimed for his performance as the reform-minded Arab prince in last year's brilliant thriller, Syriana.

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen the Felon said...

I always thought the relationship between Kira Nerys and Odo was kinda gay, too, since she was so butch and he was so...Odo.

6/15/06, 1:40 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I adored Kira & Odo, individually and as a couple, but what I saw was a closet case (Odo) and his beloved fag hag. His arc was the classic coming out story: from denial to acceptance.

I only wish they'd gone further with it, though I do appreciate that they didn't put a happy ending spin on that relationship--That he did, ultimately, join his people. (I hated the last season of DS9, especially the finale, but--and I admit it--I wept like a baby at that part... I loved those characters.)

6/15/06, 2:37 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

My favorite one of the bunch. Dax did kiss another woman on the show, one of her hosts wives I believe. I remeber the big deal made about it and there was the one with Riker and the ambigous race who have their kids in husks. Some identified with male and some female then had gender reassignment.

The shows only touched on the issues why there was never a gay character I'll never know since they were so advances and understanding in that time.

6/15/06, 9:27 PM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Oh man, I totally cried when Odo joined the Great Puddle, or whatever the hell it was. Absolutely. He's one of my all-time favorite Star Trek characters.

Interestingly, I read recently that Nana Visitor was married to Alexander Siddig for a few years while the show was in production. The sexual ambiguity goes on and on...

6/16/06, 10:03 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Pete--Right, it was always couched in metaphor. I resented the TNG episode. A friend of mine (Dev F) on a message board I frequent had this to say about it: "The series managed to do a "gay-themed" episode that didn't actually include any gay content whatsoever. If the producers had really had the courage of their convictions on this one, the androgynous alien Riker fell for would've been played by a man."

Re: "Rejoined"--The DS9 episode--I think they got closer to the mark. The gender of Jadzia's lover was never discussed. It just was. Though they did milk it for a lot of gratuitous lesbionic making out.

6/16/06, 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home