Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pushing Daisies Gets The Back 9

Pushing Daisies — has just been picked up for a full season. Multiple sources confirm that ABC has ordered nine additional episodes, for a grand total of 22.
Woo! (And hoo.)

I have friends who can't stand it--I believe "cloying" was the word--but though I admit Jim Dale's sarcastic fairy tale voice over could be dialed back a bit (especially "...9 years, 4 months, 6 days, and 4 hours old..."), I'm loving this show (the only new show this fall I can say *that* about).

An intriguing high concept is lushly rendered a la Tim Burton--The Series. The scripts are filled with alternately earnest and sarcastic charm. There's an inevitably doomed love affair (Lee Pace & Anna Friel) at its core, and a fun, live-action Scooby Doo-style take on the procedural fueling the plots.

Probably the best thing going for Daisies is its brilliant, stage-trained cast (which includes Kristen Chenoweth, Ellen Green and Swoozie Kurtz), which only got better with the recent addition of the great Raul Esparza as a recurring player (hope he gets to be a regular now).

I'm all in. (You couldn't tell?) Hope the impending writer's strike (which some studio heads apparently *want* -- to erase this otherwise abyssmal TV season) doesn't kill its momentum...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the show is terrific. Completely disarming and often hysterical. Oh, and I've completely fallen in love with Anna Friel (and that's saying something!).

- Josh

10/23/07, 10:13 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Josh? Where have you been??

10/24/07, 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been out and about. ;) I just wanted a break. Although not from television, obviously...

- Josh

10/25/07, 4:53 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Come home. We miss you. (Mom is *so* worried!) :) :)

10/27/07, 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether to take that comment literally or figuratively. There's arguments for both sides (although I'm relatively certain we have different moms). :p

And I did miss cruising GMD and Reviews...

- J

10/28/07, 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home