Monday, May 28, 2007

Lost Season Finale Obit--SPOILERS

That spoiler warning is specifically for Chas. Dude, do not read this post. Just move right along. Now. I mean it.

So, obviously I'm late to the party talking about the utter brilliance that was the Lost third season finale, so I won't spend too much time rehashing what everybody else has been saying. Instead, here's the text of the obit that caused Jack to almost jump off a bridge:
The body of John Lantham of New York was found shortly after 4 am in the 4300 block of Grand Avenue. Ted Worden, a doorman at the Tower Lofts complex, heard loud noises coming from the victim's loft. Concerned for tenants' safety, he entered the loft and found the body hanging from a beam in the living room. According to Jaime Ortiz, a police spokesman, the incident was deemed a suicide after medical tests. Latham is survived by one teenaged son. Memorial services will be held at the Hoffs-Drawlar Funeral Home tomorrow evening."
BTW, Hoffs-Drawlar is an anagram for "flashforward," which--for the record--I totally did not catch.

My reaction to Kate showing up at the airport, reprinted verbatim: "What?! Oh, they're not gonna try to say that Kate and Jack knew each other before--Oh. Oh, oh, oh my god!"

Update: smart money seems to be on Michael (obviously under an assumed name) as the Lostie in the box. Sounds right to me, from the details in the article: from New York, the teenaged son, living in a loft (he's an artist, remember).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About time you posted about the LOST season finale.

My reaction at the shocking ending "What the FUCK its the future? But junkie Jack said something about his dad to the other doctor."

I can't wait for the fourth season; Good TV man, Good TV.

5/28/07, 10:51 PM  
Blogger Chas. said...

Thanks for the warning. I closed my eyes until the comment box came up!

5/29/07, 10:54 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Rob--Isn't it obvious? Christian is *alive* in the future. I've been waiting for *that* revelation ever since Jack found the open coffin in season 1.

5/29/07, 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know he's alive in the possible future (possible being the optimal word). I completely forgot about the open coffin in season 1. Either way that finale was a mind-fuck and a good one at that.

5/29/07, 6:53 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Though, we should note, Lindelof has steadfastly denied from day 1 that Christian will ever be resurrected on this show.

I don't mind if he's been lying to us fans in internet chats and interviews -- as long as they don't lie to us *in* the fiction itself, I'm fine -- but if Christian is actually alive in Jack's flash-forward, then that's what they've been doing: lying to us fans.

Which is why some people think it was just the oxy talking. Jack *was* high as a kite when he referenced his dad in the present tense, after all.

Still, I don't buy that. I think he's alive, and this was one of their patented under-the-radar revelations.

It would be part of a larger story: major characters healed from paralysis and cancer and gunshot wounds to the abdomen, and spinal surbgery, in just days...

If the island can do all that, it's not much of a leap to "the island can resurrect the dead." If so, that dead man walking will be Christian Shepherd.

(Should be interesting to see how they deal with the fact that he was, no doubt, embalmed, but why quibble?)

6/6/07, 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home