Friday, January 19, 2007

Habeas Corpus & The Constitution

So, I found the direct quote I alluded to last night.

Specter: Now wait a minute, wait a minute. The Constitution says you can't take [habeas corpus] away except in the case of invasion or rebellion. Doesn't that mean you have the right of habeas corpus?

Gonzales: I meant by that comment that the Constitution doesn't say that every individual in the United States or every citizen has or is assured the right of habeas corpus. It doesn't say that. It simply says that the right of habeas corpus shall not be suspended.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blobby said...

Gonzalez is a nicer, but more subversive Ashcroft.

I will hand it to Arlen though (and I'd never thought I'd say that), but over the last year or 18 mos, he's been more of a democrat than most democrats.

1/20/07, 9:59 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

talk is cheap. he was the chairman of the judiciary committee during *all* of this.

still, if he satnds with the Dems now, when it counts, we'll call it even.

1/20/07, 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home