Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Best Thing In Comics

at the moment, is Paul Dini's run on Detective Comics. This week's issue (#826) is a Joker/Robin story of such incredibly high quality as to rival The Killing Joke (with which there are deliberate parallels).

And, just so y'all know where I'm comin from, I'm not such a big fan of the regular Batman comics... If they're not by Alan Moore or Frank Miller, they tend to suck. Looks like we can now add Paul Dini (who fans will recognize from the acclaimed Batman Animated Series) to that list.

These stories are entirely self-contained, so don't hesitate on that account -- None of them are part 12 of 16. Promise.

4 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Dini's run seems to be off to a good start, but I am also enjoying Grant Morrison's run over on BATMAN.

(Of course, after the disasterous Chuck Dixon run on the books a retarded chimp would've been a step up in the writing department.)

12/9/06, 9:16 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'm following the Morrisson stuff for now, but I'm not loving the artwork, and--really--how much of a trope is the whole "heretofore unknown offspring" plot, anyway?

And of course they're doing almost exactly the same plot with Superman in Action Comics right now . . . Oops! Cliche faux pas!

I'm loving Morrisson's All-Star Superman, and was a major fan of his Doom Patrol in the 90s, but otherwise, I think he's pretty overrated.

12/9/06, 5:23 PM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Actually, the Batman/Talia spawn was a dropped subplot years ago from "Son of the Demon" by Mike Barr (I think). I've always had a soft spot for Barr and loved that story.

I will agree that the artwork on that book leaves a lot to be desired.

12/10/06, 12:35 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I remember the old storyline, but Ras Al Ghul as never one of my favorite Batman villains (nor was Talia ever one of my favorite Batman love interests).

I was initially shocked that Nolan would choose Ras for the movie, but they changed it enough to make him interesting.

I prefer my Batman like this issue of Detective -- Disturbing, scary, funny (often all three at once). Batman should be character-based, not action-dependant.

12/11/06, 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home