Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Robert Altman Dead

LOS ANGELES - Robert Altman, the caustic and irreverent satirist behind "M-A-S-H," "Nashville" and "The Player" who made a career out of bucking Hollywood management and story conventions, died at a Los Angeles Hospital, his Sandcastle 5 Productions Company said Tuesday. He was 81.

The director died Monday night, Joshua Astrachan, a producer at Altman's Sandcastle 5 Productions in New York City, told The Associated Press.

The cause of death wasn't disclosed. A news release was expected later in the day, Astrachan said.

A five-time Academy Award nominee for best director, most recently for 2001's "Gosford Park," he finally won a lifetime achievement Oscar in 2006.

"No other filmmaker has gotten a better shake than I have," Altman said while accepting the award. "I'm very fortunate in my career. I've never had to direct a film I didn't choose or develop. My love for filmmaking has given me an entree to the world and to the human condition."


He will be sorely missed. By some more than others.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

What a loss.

11/22/06, 9:28 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I was thinking of renting Gosford Park to watch over the weekend, since I enjoyed it so much at your house last year.

Maybe give MASH another shot (having grown up on the series, I have always had a hard time giving that movie a fair shake).

11/22/06, 11:54 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Of course I've seen nashville. I've seen MASH, too, but in my head, MASH is long-form, meant to be watched and savored over years, not minutes.

I get that I'm backwards :)

11/22/06, 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home