Friday, October 27, 2006

Superman Returns 2

Hey, two posts in a row that will make certain people very happy. According to several online reports, the deal for a sequel to Superman Returns was finalized last week. Bryan Singer and his writers, Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty will return.

And, as I speculated last summer, the budget will be reduced. SR cost about $208M (before prints and marketing costs). SR 2 will be budgeted at $160-175M.

Target release date: Summer 2008. That will put it in direct competition with the Abrams (et al) Star Trek relaunch, a project Singer once had his eye on.

Update 10/31: This has now hit the trades, which indicate the target release date is Summer 2009.

4 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Yeah, i wasn't the biggest fan of SR, but I would like to see the big guy finally get a movie that does him justice.

I'm just not sure that Singer and friends are the ones to do it. They got the character moments right, but they dumbed down Lois Lane -- then cast Kate Bosworth to make matters worse -- and Luthor's plot was really pretty stupid and not all that interesting.

I'd like to see the screenwriters behind the two SPIDERMAN movies take a whack at a Supes script.

10/28/06, 11:48 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

GAK!!! Please, no!!! If you thought Luthor's plot was silly, what could you have thought of the retarded sci-fi Mad Scientists(TM) of the Spiderman films?

SR wasn't a perfect film -- far from it -- but it was a good pilot. I expect the next one to be much better, and don't think there's anyone better than this team to make it.

(As for Lois... I don't think she was dumb, just played that way. It was unfortunate casting, no doubt... but we're stuck with her. It's not like Katie Holmes, who they can just delete.)

10/28/06, 12:19 PM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I'll have to respectfully disagree about Lois being dumb.

"Here I am about to board this yacht which could put me in a dangerous situation and possibly result in the loss of my life. Yeah, I better drag my kid and there and leave my cell phone in the car."

Not exactly a Rhodes scholar that one.

10/31/06, 1:28 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

She had no incling that would be a dangerous situation. We did, but she didn't.

10/31/06, 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home