Monday, August 14, 2006

Now Closing

Last chance to see my beloved Sweeney Todd ("the best American musical of the last 40 years" according to the Wall Street Journal) on Broadway. Though the cast had re-upped through November, it was reported on Friday that the last performance will be on September 3.

By the time it closes, Sweeney will have a total of 389 perfs (including previews, which began October 3, 2005) under its belt. A national tour is in the works. (And, of course, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have sealed a deal to do a big-budget movie version. Brace for Mrs Lovett as assayed by Helena Bonham Carter.)

Vying to replace it at the Eugene O'Neill are The Atlantic Theater Company's Spring Awakening and High Fidelity, both musicals. (The latter is based on the Nick Hornsby novel, which director Stephen Frears and writer/actor John Cusak adapted into a critically acclaimed film for Touchstone in 2000.)

Hat tip: Chas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I wasn't such a big fan of High Fidelity.. although I love me some Cusak. Joan or John.. either one :)

8/15/06, 9:58 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I never got around to seeing it, though I heard a lot of good things. (I think you may be the first person to tell me they didn't like it.) Maybe I'll rent it during my (mops brow melodramatically) convalescence. :)

8/15/06, 11:34 AM  
Blogger palochi said...

High Fidelity... the Musical?!

*faints, thud*

Sorry Paul, but HF is one of my Top Five favorite films of all time. Gotta catch this if it comes to NYC or Chicago.

8/15/06, 1:28 PM  
Blogger Gayest Neil said...

Johnny Depp!

8/17/06, 5:44 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I can see te casting... but I wish they'd kept Burton away from it. I dunno. Maybe he"ll surprise us. But if Helena Bonham Carter is Mrs Lovett, get ready for the fatwas...

8/19/06, 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home