Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cringe

I saw the Fringe pilot last summer... Didn't care for it. Decided to give it a second chance tonight, but the second time isn't doing anything more for me than the first.

Impressive cast and production values... but jesus, it's preposterous.

She comes out of the Altered States tank saying "I saw him!" and I'm sitting there thinking, "is NO ONE gonna even raise, 'power of suggestion?'" Apparently not.

And I'm still scratching my head over why Altered States is even germane as an inspiration here, especially since the producers have talked it up so much...

Not to mention: why would an FBI agent who is as smart, and level-headed as we're lead to believe Dunham is take Special K and LSD without even considering that a) she's breaking the law and b) she could lose her job and pension if she failed her next mandatory drug test?

What's (the scrumptious, charismatic) Joshua Jackson character going to do week after week? Chase & punch out the bad guys, even interrogate them... despite the fact that he's a civilian?

I mean, hello? (And how did he end up so invested in whether Dunham's boyfriend lived or died? That's not even addressed.)

The bit about "The Pattern" was interesting, but so far at least, Fringe is a bad X-Files knock off.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Super-lame.

Not to mention the cow, cat, rusty equipment, etc. creating a completely unsterile medical environment in that lab. Just weird.

Just too much hokiness for me.

9/10/08, 10:15 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

glad we're on the same page. i've liked kurtzman & orci's work in the past, but also hated their work in the past... so it kinda concerns me that they wrote the screenplay for the new Trek. *gulp*

9/10/08, 9:52 PM  
Blogger Stenar said...

I kind of liked the Fringe. It's a fantasy, obviously. Don't take it so seriously. Sure, in a way, it's a bad X-Files knock off... But for me, I actually like it better than the X-Files because I really, really can't stand David Duchovny. SO ANNOYING! And very ugly to look at.

9/12/08, 5:47 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'm not taking it "so seriously," I'm expecting it not to insult my intelligence -- especially because the producers have been involved in some of the best genre television of the last decade.

JJ Abrams knows how to reward close viewing, and how to persuade smart, jaded audience members to suspend disbelief for the most preposterous plot points. (Have you seen the Alias pilot?)

He just didn't do it *here*.

9/12/08, 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home