Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Y: The Last Man Movie

Y: The Last Man: The Movie is moving forward, according to today's Hollywood Reporter.
D.J. Caruso and Carl Ellsworth, the team behind the hit thriller "Disturbia," are reteaming for "Y: The Last Man," New Line Cinema's adaptation of the acclaimed Vertigo comic book. J.C. Spink, Chris Bender and David Goyer are producing.

Caruso is developing and directing, with Ellsworth on board to write.

The comic, created by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, centers on Yorick, an escape artist who is the last survivor of a mysterious plague that has killed every single male mammal in the world. With his male pet monkey, he sets out to find what might have wiped out the world's male chromosomes.
I'm happy for Vaughan, who is without a doubt one of the top three or four writers in comics at the moment, though I can't help but feel Y--which is very much based on The Fugitive/X-Files model--would make a much better TV series.

They're gonna lose a lot of great stuff shoe-horning this sprawling story into two hours.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I fucking LOVE the comic.. can't wait for this!

7/24/07, 1:32 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I do, too. Of all his ongoing comics work, Y is my favorite. (I think there's only 3 issues left now... maybe 4.)

Have you read Pride of Baghdad?

7/24/07, 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree it should be a series.

I just hope they do the comic justice. But I have very little faith that they will. Just look at has been done to 30 Days of Night.

7/24/07, 11:39 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

And 30 Days of Night actually lends itself to a movie adaption... (Though I haven't seen it, so I really can't say it was a bad one.)

I'm trying to keep my expectations for the Y movie low so I can be pleasantly surprised. If they get some muscled-up heart-throbby type like Chris Evans to play Yorrick Brown, we'll konw they're on the wrong track. (You know who'd be great -- Vincent Kartheiser from Angel and, now, Mad Men. He'd be *perfect*).

7/25/07, 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah but with our luck they'll cast Shia Lebouf as Yorick or some other crap-actor of the moment.

They need Naomi Harris as 355 and Ming Na as Dr. Mann. I wonder who should be Hero and Beth hmmmmmm.

7/25/07, 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home