Monday, July 23, 2007

Sunshine


Oh my god, did this movie suck. So pretentious, and so stylish, yet so truly free of substance. Did I mention boring? For the most part, it was like watching hair grow... Interspersed, to be fair, by a couple of tense, but nevertheless predictable, set-pieces.

Note to Danny Boyle and Alex Garland: if you want to do the 2001 thing, it would help to keep us riveted by the subtext. Which is difficult when you've left nothing *in* the subtext... And if you want to do the Alien thing, it would help to bring the alien into it before Act 3.

Oh, and while you remembered to bring the soapbox, you forgot to bring the fun. I hear a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down... Trainspotting and 28 Days Later, which are among my favorite movies, remembered this. Oh, well.

Avoid, avoid.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still going to see this!!!
Chas.

7/24/07, 10:06 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Don't say I didn't warn ya. . .

7/24/07, 10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh crap. I think this is dead to me now and I'll just wait for the DVD. Thanks for the warning.

7/25/07, 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home