Thursday, April 26, 2007

McCain Calls Iraq War a Tragedy?

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Republican presidential contender John McCain called the Iraq war "a great tragedy" on Thursday, yet still decried a timetable for a U.S. withdrawal as the Senate voted to begin pulling out troops by Oct. 1.
Really? Let's check out that quote:
"I'm aware of the patience of the American people. I read the polls. I'm not embarrassed to say that. I understand the frustration and sorrow that American people feel about this war. It's a great tragedy," said McCain, who was campaigning in this early voting state and missed the Senate vote on the bill containing the withdrawal timetable.
I know what it looks like to me. It looks like he's calling "the patience of the American people" with regard to the Iraq war "a tragedy." Not the war itself.

Did the way they quoted him change the context? Maybe. But note that he also missed the vote. I'll be interested to see him expand on this, because if he's calling this war "a great tragedy," it's a major change of position--aka, a flip flop.

What do you guys think?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home