Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lost 3X17: "CATCH 22" by Jeff Pinker & Brian K Vaughan

This was Brian K Vaughan's first produced work on Lost -- and, for that matter, in TV. Vaughan (whose blog is linked at right) is one of the best comic book writers working at the moment. His two creator-owned books, Y: The Last Man (which is winding down after about 5 years) and Ex Machina are particular favorites, though the Pride of Baghdad graphic novel is his best work.

Anyway, with that little bit of pimping out of the way, "Catch 22" was--I thought--quite good. The script (written with series vet Jeff Pinker) did a great job of making us feel Desmond's dilemma: he believed that in order to make his vision come true, he had to make every part of it come true... including Charlie's death.

Was he wrong? The visitor (Naomi) is alive, and clearly knows who he is, so she is connected to Penny and her search for the island. But, still, she's *not* Penny. Desmond probably thinks that if he'd let Charlie die, it would've been Penny under that visor.

The fallout from his actions should be interesting. I wouldn't blame Charlie for hating him, but if he tells Des to beat it, he loses his protector. (Charlie's flashback is the penultimate episode of the season. He is widely expected to die in that episode, though I'm sort of hoping it's a colossal misdirect meant to stop us guessing the identity of the real casualty: Jack.)

Meanwhile, though I loathe both actors, I'm starting to feel for Kate and Sawyer. I hope he realizes how badly she's gonna hurt him.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I also enjoyed last night's episode although I felt it did very little to move the overall story along.

Desmond and Penny are money in the bank anytime they are on screen together as far as I am concerned. I really love those actors together.

Have to say that I am hoping that Charlie is the next to go. His character has never been interesting to me and his flashbacks have been the show's weakest in my opinion. But if it can't be Charlie, then please let it be bug-eyed Juliet.

I love Evangeline Lily but how desperate is Kate to sleep with Sawyer? And knowing that pregnancy on the island could result in death? What a dim bulb.

4/20/07, 2:01 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

You really think that's gonna stop people from sleeping together on the island?

I *do* think we should see them make an announcement, though. I wonder if the Dharma supply drops include boxes of condoms?

4/25/07, 1:35 PM  
Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

It would make me stop, but then I have great self control.

But seriously -- Sawyer?!?!?!?!

4/25/07, 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home