Thursday, April 05, 2007

Lost: "Left Behind" by Damon Lindelof & Elizabeth Sarnoff SPOILERS

Overall, this season has been an improvement, in my opinion, over the last one, but I gotta say, I didn't love this one.

Too much coincidence, too little common-sense. They left the village without taking showers or doing their laundry. Jack never asked, "um... Where's Locke?" Etc.

Kate running into Cassidy in the flashback was hard to buy (like Sawyer running into Jack's father, or Claire being Jack's sister, et al.) I was a little shocked that she didn't sell Kate out in the end, but maybe that happens next season.

Saw Juliet's mindfuck coming a mile away (obviously, Ben's not the only Other into psychodrama), and I'm certainly not convinced that they just abandoned her.

Maybe she's legit (and I love the character--hope she survives another season), but as of now, I think she's a plant, sent to keep an eye on the Losties and report back.

I think it's even possible the smoke monster encounter was a set-up. (And how convenient that the sonic fence was off.)

The beach subplot was... standard issue, as usual. I'm sorry to see the Others go if it means we'll have to spend more time on the boring-ass beach. I know a lot of people might disagree with me on this (especially the network, which apparently mandated that showrunners Lindelof & Cuse return Jack to the beach several episodes earlier than they had planned), but I've really enjoyed the extended focus on their operations.

Here's what I hope comes next: they all pile into Hurley's van and head back to take the village for themselves. Juliet obviously knows the code for the fence, possibly even how to change it, so she could turn it on once they're inside and effectively lock The Others/Hostiles out.

Of course, the characters who didn't even think to take advantage of the running water before they headed home to the beach aren't about to do that... right?

1 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I think I'd find the Juliet character a little more tolerable with a different actress in the role. Elizabeth Mitchell does nothing for me. She's very one dimensional to me.

4/5/07, 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home