Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Star Trek Remastered

Some in my beloved Geek Community are bemoaning the impending arrival of Star Trek Remastered, but I'm excited about the 60s show for the first time in decades.

If you have even a drop of geek blood in you, you must check out this trailer.

(Also note how they use the theme from Buffy's final episode near the end.)

They've cleaned up the prints to look pristine in Hi-Def (check out the before & afters in the trailer)...

They've re-done all the FX with cutting edge CG-techniques, adding depth and perspective while preserving the original shot compositions. The planets are now photo-realistic images of the type usually associated with Satellite or space probe photography. (They used to look like day-glo aggies... or maps.) And the ships move like ships instead of models.

They've also re-done the sound -- including the music. They totally re-recorded every note. How cool is *that*? Check out the funky chick singing the vocal part of the Alexander Courage theme in that trailer -- Dunno why, but I was laughing my ass off. (OK, that's a lie--I *do* know why.)

The first Remastered ep, "Balance of Terror," a brilliant U-Boat movie in space, debuts in syndication this weekend. In the NYC area, it will air on NBC-4 Monday at 3:30AM (aka, late Sunday night).

Geeks--Set yer DVRs.

Unfortunately--for reasons I don't quite understand--it will not air *in* Hi-Def. But it should look pretty damn spiffy, anyway, and the HD DVDs can't be too far down the pike.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for Star Trek XI.

9/15/06, 5:34 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

I have to go change my shorts. Pretty dam sweet!

9/16/06, 12:51 AM  
Blogger Drew Staffen said...

Thanks for the tip. Watched the video, laughed my ass off too. I think I know why though. The theme is kinda cheesy, but that's okay. We love that. But then SHE comes in and just NAILS it! You can't help but laugh `cause it's cool and exciting and then you go to see where it will be showing in your area and it's not. And San Francisco is supposed to be so cutting edge. Oh well.

9/16/06, 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home