Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Y: The Last Man

I can't remember the last time I shed a tear over a comic book, but I shed 'em MULTIPLE times for the final issue (#60) of this brilliant, seminal series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. (I practically wept for Ampersand -- who, for the uninitiated, was our hero Yorrick Brown's faithful Capuchin monkey.)

No question: Y ranks in my personal canon of all-time best comic book series -- and especially all-time best *long-runs*. Sixty monthly issues in a row ain't nothin' to sneeze at, kids. Vaughan wrote every one, and Guerra--who never gets enough credit, IMO--drew almost every one (taking short breaks once or twice, IIRC, to catch her breath.)

I can't for the life of me understand why this is being made into a movie... This should done for TV. By HBO, preferably.

Guerra's next project is a a Dr Who mini (featuring the David Tennant Doctor). Vaughan continues to write one ongoing monthly, the not-quite-as-beloved but still-quite-fantastic Ex Machina and is also now a co-producer on Lost. Damn--He got promoted quick. And deservedly so. This guy's gonna win Emmys and maybe even Oscars before he's through. The bastard. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home